When I explained that her expired license was not acceptable she began to wield insults my way, and even claimed that she'd recently had documents notarized at her bank with no problem. Then she began shoving family photo albums under my nose. Was I an idiot? Could I not see that she was who she claimed to be? You get the idea.
I'm much more thorough now in my vetting of signers, but occasionally someone will slip through the cracks and present the dreaded expired ID. We always get through the process with credible witnesses who vouch for the identity of the signer, but the ideal solution is to maintain a valid form of identification at all times.
I make a point to praise my age 62+ clients who are in possession of a senior citizen ID card, which is good for 10 years. In my book, those are worth their weight in gold. It certainly takes the pressure off friends and family members who must scramble to find two credible witnesses when no paper identification is available.
Here's a quick review for signers of any age. Keep in mind that the document must be current or issued within five years to be valid. In addition, the document must contain a photograph, description of the person, signature of the person, and an identifying number.
Paper Identification Documents Acceptable in California
- An identification card or driver's license issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles
- A United States passport
- A passport issued by a foreign government, stamped by the U.S. Immigration Naturalization Service or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- A driver's license issued by another state
- A Canadian or Mexican driver’s license issued by a public agency
- An identification card issued by another state
- A U.S. military identification card
- An inmate identification card issued by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (assuming the inmate is in custody)
- An employee identification card issued by an agency or office of the State of California
Source: 2013 California Notary Public Handbook